Welcome

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Love Song



Here it is Valentine's Day and I thought of one of my favorite poets.  So instead of writing something of my own I will post his love song.

The heart is a small watercolor I whipped off in celebration of the day.  The heart is a kind of a cliche' but I thought, that's alright for it is Valentine's Day after all. 

The poetry is not sentimental or cliche'.  It is, in my opinion, artful.  I suggest reading it aloud then decide what is being expressed.  Is it  humor, sadness, eroticism or what?


Love Song


















  I lie here thinking of you:---
the stain of love
is upon the world!
Yellow, yellow, yellow
it eats into the leaves,
smears with saffron
the horned branches that lean
heavily
against a smooth purple sky!
 

There is no light
only a honey-thick stain
that drips from leaf to leaf
and limb to limb
spoiling the colors
of the whole world- 


you far off there under
the wine-red selvage of the west!

-William Carlos Williams-



6 comments: