Welcome

Monday, December 20, 2010

Cats, Dogs, People

My whole life is about art and people and animals.  I make no  distinction between them as one being higher or superior to the other.  In my opinion human beings have made a terrible mess of things.  I have been paying more attention to animals in recent years.  I understand that dogs are smart, emotional and if the dog accepts that you are it's person the dog will do anything for you.  Even die for you.  They are loyal and loving to the end.  Cats on the other hand would expect those attributes from you.  I know.  I have had dogs and cats.  I have one cat now and I am her willing slave.

I pay attention to the sounds outside.  For example I just now heard an owl hoot.  A few years ago I would not have noticed.  Age and living in the country makes one more aware of those things.  I am sure it was an owl that left the clump of rabbit fur next to the path, half buried in the snow.  There were no dog or cat or other carnivore tracks.  It must have been a nocturnal bird.  An owl.

When I hear blue jays screech in alarm, I get alarmed and look for the red-tailed hawk.  Now I am not a nature photographer or painter but I am influenced by all of these creatures.  I could go on and on about the deer and raccoon and the red cardinal but I began this because I was thinking about how much I have learned from cats and dogs.  My dog would have been embarrassed if she threw up on the floor and would have tried to clean it up for me.  My cat threw up a fur ball and she knew I would take care of it for her.

I am working on several paintings, almost finished.  I wanted to post one or two new ones but I'm not quite done. So I hope you will forgive me for posting instead photographs of some old friends.

1 comment:

  1. I love how you describe a human's relationship with cats vs dogs. I couldn;t agree more!

    ReplyDelete