Welcome

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Animals I Have Known

 
Tiglath and his toy lion



  I have had, living with me, at various timescats, dogs, horses, snakes, rabbits, birds, turtles, fish and some uninvited ones.  I love them all and get very excited when I spot an animal in the wild.  If I'm lucky I get a picture.  The pictures I've posted today are manipulated photos I've taken of my  animal friends some no longer with us.  The cat in the first picture lived with us for fourteen years before he died at home.  He was one of the best friends ever.  He is buried on my property under a tree he liked to try to climb.  Unfortunately he couldn't climb very high because he was born with a very short tail and had  a tendency to gain weight.  He liked to bat that yellow stuffed lion around and then nap with it.


 
 Tulip showing off her leg



Tulip was Tiglath's litter mate but they were not related.  I found them together as kittens in a local pet shop and could not bear to separate them.  The shopkeeper  did not want to sell Tiglath because of his stunted tail but I insisted so she said I could have Tulip for $25 and she would throw Tiglath in if I promised to take very good care of him.  She was afraid he would be humiliated somehow because of that short tail.  I never tried to understand it.  I took them both and they were such playful kittens.  They climbed into my big jade plant and totally demolished it and tried to use my expensive navajo rug as velcro.  It was hanging on a wall on the stairway.  So tempting them to run, jump, stick.  Eventually Tulip grew out of it and became a very dignified cat lady.  



  

Woody the visiting woodchuck


The picture of the woodchuck has not been altered in anyway because I just like it so much as is.  The little guy appeared on my deck almost every day last summer.  He was very shy and I just barely snapped this as he sat up and looked around before he ran under the house somewhere.  I was warned he would make my house fall down but everything is OK and Woody, I am guessing, would be hibernating in a den somewhere nearby.  I'm not sure if he was kicked out from under the deck by another animal but I did smell skunk very strongly for a time in late fall.



  
Young Doe

 All summer I watched two does with twin fawns.  One set slightly younger.  This doe came up close to my studio and I took several pictures through the window.  The deer are such graceful, gentle creatures.  When frightened they turn up their white tails and run for the woods.  Once I was close enough to hear them make a high squeaky sound.  I guess it's a warning to the others.  It was the first I knew they made any sound at all.  They stand and watch when they see me and don't run unless I walk toward them.  If I walk slowly and avert my eyes sometimes they will stand and watch until they see me go inside and they think they are safe. 



 
Monarch just hatched


Lots of things happen on, under and around my deck.  I have a milkweed plant that comes up every year and I leave it because monarch butterflies and other things like to eat it.  I just happened to go outside when this monarch had completed its pupation and its wings were still damp an droopy.  I watched in fascination as it opened its wings toward the sun with a slight fanning motion as if it knew what it was supposed to do and was waiting for just the right moment and then it came and the wind carried the lovely creature into the sky.



  

Crow in the woods



Crows and blue jays are related or so I have read.  I believe it because they act like members of two families that have some long lasting dispute.  They are very loud and let everyone around know what they think.  I was told they eat each others children but did not believe it until one day when I was visiting my son in Florida I went for a walk and to my horror I saw a crow swoop and grab a baby jay by the leg and fly off with it.  A large group of jays flew after it screaming in alarm.  It is a sight I will never forget.  I tell myself that is nature.  Unfortunate for whoever turns out to be dinner.  Maybe they saved the day for the baby jay.  


  

 Blue Jay looking for fallen fruit



The blue jay picture is a straight, untouched photo.  I saw him through my studio window in a small crab apple tree.  I wanted to get him in the tree but he kept jumping up and down.  This was the best I could do.  It's a fairly good view of his back.   I love blue jays.  They are the most beautiful color with sleek feathers and a little crest on the top of their head.  I can forgive them the loud screeching because they are like flashes of blue light darting in and out of the trees.  




  
Doe looking for fawn



The doe was looking back to see where the twins were.  They were not far away.  This picture was taken last summer.  The deer are still around.  The fawns are grown.  There will probably be new ones in the spring.  I saw about six deer when I walked to my studio today and they did turn tail and run into the woods but when I was inside they were right back in the open grazing.  There has not been much snow this winter so they are still able to get at the grass.  It's very cold but they grow a winter coat and they have hooves so don't need to wear warm boots like us. 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment