Welcome

Monday, January 25, 2010

Art Museums



Going to art museums is one of my favorite things to do.  Whether it's a short trip or across the country.  We always have visiting an art museum on the itinerary.  These images are of a recent visit to the Detroit Institute of Arts.  People walking up stairs entering the Great Hall.  It was designed in the Beaux-Arts style by the architect Paul Cret in 1927.  There were two wings attached in the 1960's and 1970's and a major renovation started in 1999 was completed in 2007.  

 


The African galleries are one of my favorites.  Pictured are two of my friends looking at a beaded mask and throne.  One of the new features is a video showing the masqueraders wearing costumes and dancing the ritual dances so one gets a feeling for how these objects were used.


The reason I like going to art museums is that they are like islands of beauty and tranquility in noisy and often hectic cities.  There one can go for a walk, see fascinating objects made by really good artists and there is almost always  a gift shop with unique things for sale as well as a nice place for a snack or a drink.  




My absolute favorite thing to see is modern and contemporary art.  I am just blown away when I see some of the ideas people come up with in the arts right now.  There are so many new media that are used in innovative and clever ways.  I walk through all the galleries but I spend most of my time looking at contemporary art.  I wish the Detroit Institute of Arts would re-establish a gallery of rotating new art made by artists today especially locally.




These girls caught my eye in the contemporary crafts gallery.  They were trying to get a picture of a gorgeous woven wall hanging.  It's sometimes difficult to get a good clear photo because flash is not allowed and the light is not always very good as was the case here.  

 


Rivera Court is the heart of the museum.  Murals were painted on all the walls in 1932 by Mexican artist Diego Rivera for whom the court is named.  The day I took this picture I saw people sitting in chairs arranged facing the south wall.  The sun was streaming the overhead windows.  A great picture taking space.  The people were waiting for a story-teller.

 



The man in the vest is the story-teller and the person in yellow is doing signing for the deaf.  I did not stay long enough to hear what the story was because I was anxious to look at more art.


These are some of my favorite pieces of contemporary art.  I was sorry the light was not strong enough to get a clear picture but I like the photo anyway.  I don't think we always need every little detail.  This brings to mind the new high definition TV that I don't blame actors for reacting against because who wants everybody to see every little wrinkle and blemish?  Actually, as an artist myself I think oftentimes the art looks better in a photo than in real life.

 

1 comment:

  1. I like the bright colours in the photo of the contemporary art section. I've responded to your comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete