Welcome

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Moon and Mars


                                                                       Wolf Moon

Last night the moon was the brightest and closest to the earth it's been for a long time.  I don't know exactly how long it's been but I know that many sky-watchers have been pretty excited about seeing that big beautiful moon and big orange Mars hanging around her edges absorbing some of the glow.  All the moon excitement, from the Blue Moon on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day to the Wolf Moon of last night has me inspired to paint moon paintings.  The pictures are paintings I've recently done.  Of course I painted them before last night and I will paint more and now that I know Mars  was a part of the picture he will be included.  In mythology Mars is the god of war.  I am wondering what's going on there?  Is it an omen?  If so, is it a good one or bad one?



 
Blood Moon

I hope it's not a bad omen. We have had enough bad stuff going on with the recession, wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, political polarization in the U.S.A.the earthquake in Haiti and on and on.  That's why I painted the Blood Moon I guess.  Although I really didn't know why I just did it because that's what I was feeling at the time.    All this moon talk has been working on my emotions probably the reason for the dreams I've been having about men with animal heads,  The man with the lion head was not frightening.  He was  relaxed and seemed wise but the man with the bull head was kind of intimidating.  This is what the moon does to me.



                                                    Fish Moon

This painting I called Fish Moon just because there are some fish shapes floating around it.  Native Americans have a whole list of names for the various moons at different times.  I am confident that there is a Wolf Moon in the winter.  Fish Moon,  not so sure about that one.  I have heard of Beaver Moon, Milk Moon, and I believe there is a Rose Moon.  The thing to do, obviously is to Google it and find out.  When I find out there will be a whole list of new titles for my moon paintings to come.  The following are three moon photos I took last night.

                    
Moving Moon



                                             Cracked Moon

                                                                  Wrapped Moon                            

                                          

2 comments:

  1. my comment disappeared! :^(

    what i'd said was that i saw it too, last night, and it feels like a blessing to catch it in the moon like that -- doesn't it?

    (ps i'm also a libra from outside detroit, originally!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's awesome to see the moon like that. I love your woodblock print photos.

    ReplyDelete